Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Homemade Tear Gas

For Thanksgiving, everything on my table was homemade (exception: canned cranberry sauce - for the traditionalists). I made cranberry-pear chutney from dried cranberries and pears, using a recipe I found on the Internet - I think it was from eatingwell.com. I followed the recipe exactly, at least as far as the spicing was concerned, but it was so hot it couldn't be eaten on its own.
I put my face over it while it was cooking and the steam truly burned my eyes.
I could serve it - but only by diluting it 50% with applesauce.
My mother and aunt (AKA Mommo and Julia) came for dinner and were both appreciative and liked not having to cook or clean up in their own homes.
I made gluten-free spoonbread for my mother (taste OK but doesn't look very good) and the meal was, except for the rolls, gluten-free.
Turkey casserole, creamed turkey on toast points and turkey soup, of course; followed.
It's December 8th, and I've just about used up all the turkey. The last few slices of breast will go into an otherwise veggie soup tonight, along with the two pints of turkey gravy left.
Stay tuned for other developments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Polite comments, please.