Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Still more lessons learned

Last night I stopped at the H Mart (Korean supermarket) and bought a flounder I thought would fit my by fry pan, which means it was after 7 when I finally got home.
Tiny boiled potatoes and microwaved asparagus didn't take too much time while I floured the fish for my second try at Mueniere.
Final result: I had to cut off the head while I was frying the fish, as it wouldn't fit in the pan, the thin skin stuck to the pan and denuded the fish and the overcooked fillets mushed up when I tried to ever-so-delicately slide them off the bone. We each got a mouthful of fish (Alyson got two).
Because of the skin stuck to the pan, I wiped the pan with a paper towel before I made the sauce - and made far too much (1/2 stick of butter, juice of one lemon and couple of tablespoons for fresh chopped parsley - the flat kind with flavor) so now there is some in the fridge.
Now that I've 'deboned at the table' (actually stovetop) twice I think I'll do this with thawed flounder fillets in the fututre, and have a portion of fish big enough to eat.
On another note: I could just dig in and eat boiled potatoes and asparagus with butterslippery fingers until my little tummy threatens to pop. Yum.
For the second time in three days, Jim ran to the store and bought beer because Alyson wanted it. They had two apiece, I think. A ritual has evolved where Jim walks her home. I approve. The walk clears Jim's head a little bit.
I told Alyson she ought to bring the beer next week, since Jim no longer buys it for himself. She agreed.
Alyson made her own veggie burgers by half-following and half-ignoring a recipe which calls for a food processor (which she has not) and freezing (which she is disinclined to do). She approved and I wholeheartedly endorse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Polite comments, please.